IT Band Stretch
A static stretch for the Iliotibial Band, or IT Band
- Standing upright, cross your right leg over your left. The feet should be about 12 inches apart.
- Lean to your right while pushing your hips to the left.
- For a more effective stretch, reach your left arm up and over your head towards the right.
- At this point you should feel a slight stretch along the outside of your left hip, thigh and knee.
- Keep your back knee straight.
- Place most of your weight on your back leg.
- Keep your weight distributed evenly on the bottom of your foot.
- Make sure your hips face forward throughout the exercise; they should not twist with the legs.
- Maintain a long spine as you lean; don't collapse at the waist.
- Remember to breathe fluidly and be patient, as it's a tricky stretch to feel.
Duration / Reps: Hold for 30 seconds on each side
When: During the post-workout, cool-down routine
Increases flexibility of the IT Band