A full body cool-down and stretching activity
- Have runners spread out an arm's length apart from each other.
- Guide them through a series of fluid stretching movements.
- Use these exercises, repeating each one about 3 times, or make up your own movements:
- March in place with high knees.
- Twist gently like a rag doll.
- Pick apples: reach up and down.
- Do hula hoops.
- Do shoulder circles.
- Wiggle and jiggle it out.
- Demonstrate each movement while you call it out.
- Do Cool It at a nice, slow, and fluid pace.
- Improvise and create your own routines.
- Include cool-down exercises that keep your kids moving naturally, without overstretching or straining.
Duration / Reps:
- Do each exercise in the routine about 3 times.
- Spend 2-3 minutes total on the whole Cool It routine.
When: At the end of the running session
- Cools down and stretches the entire body
- Instills the importance of taking care of the body through cooling down after exercising
- Prepares kids for the end of the session, so they can make an easier transition to whatever comes next