A relay game that develops physical fitness, general athletic skills and form skills
- Create a course that incorporates a series of obstacles (e.g. zigzag around cones, run sideways to another cone, jump rope five times, sprint back to the line, crawl through teammates' legs).
- Split runners up into equally matched teams.
- On your command, the first runner from each team starts, as they finish, the next runner on their team starts, and so on, until all runners have gone.
- The first team to have all runners complete the course wins.
- Encourage your runners to root for their teammates.
- Be prepared to remind runners what to do next, as it can be easy to forget parts of the race amidst the excitement.
- Improvise and incorporate various activities.
- Encourage camaraderie and have fun.
When: Anytime, especially as a high-spirited end to a session
- Obstacle Medley can take place within virtually any space and can include as much or as little equipment as you want
- Some favorites include: cones, beanbags, hula hoops, jump ropes, and hurdles
- To design a course without any equipment at all, you can incorporate activities such as crab walks, high skips, hopping on one foot, and jumping jacks
- Develops physical fitness, general athletic skills, and key form skills (depending on what is included in the relay)